Strangers try to lure schoolchildren

An unidentified man approached and tried to entice William S. Reyes Elementary School students to follow him after school last month. Police later said there are actually three suspects: two women and one man.

Department of Public Safety acting spokesperson Jason Tarkong said yesterday that police are still working on getting a description of the suspects.

“At this time we are attempting to work on the descriptions of the suspects…three adults—two females and one male. …They were attempting to lure elementary school kids into their vehicle last Friday. …Please inform parents to be more vigilant and talk to their kids about never talking to strangers,” Tarkong said.

In a Crime Stoppers notice issued last night, it was learned that on Thursday, May 28, 2015, after school at about 2:30pm, two suspicious strangers approached three minor children at WSR Elementary School.

The first suspect, described as a dark-skinned local male wearing a blue long-sleeved sweater with a hood, was enticing the three minor children by the school fence line across the Galaxy Snack Bar with candy, ice cream, and video games. Suspect No. 1 asked the children to follow him and get into a black four-door sedan parked across the street at the Galaxy Snack Bar.

Suspect No. 2, described as female, skinny, with long blond hair and wearing a pair of see-through brown blouse covering a white spaghetti strap top, was taking a video of the children and Suspect No. 1 on her cell phone as he was offering the victims candies, ice cream, and video games, which they said was inside their car. The three children refused and immediately notified their teacher.

Both suspects got into the black four-door sedan with a third person, Suspect No. 3, who is also female and was described as light complexioned, with curly dark hair. Suspect No. 1 drove the sedan down to the south gate of the school and parked at the fence and again attempted to entice three other children into their car, offering them ice cream, candy, and video games. The children refused, ran to the school’s main office, and reported the incident to school officials.

For anyone with information about this, contact Crime Stoppers at 234-7272 or visit their website at www.nmicrimestoppers.net. Crime Stoppers pays up to $1,000 for any information leading to an arrest.

DPS Commissioner James C. Deleon Guerrero said the Commonwealth Bureau of Investigation had interviewed potential witnesses in an attempt to identify the suspects.

Deleon Guerrero said that, while a crime has not been committed at this point, they are concerned that the actions taken by both individuals are indicative of predatory behavior.

He disclosed that he and the DPS police director and CBI commander met with the Public School System’s safety officer Jack Diaz to assist DPS in informing all public and private schools about this development so that extra precautions can be taken to protect the children of the Commonwealth.

Deleon Guerrero said in addition, he ordered the police director to increase police visibility in areas frequented by school children, including school bus stops and school campus around the island.

“Lastly, I ask that all parents talk to their children to not accept gifts from or talk to strangers and should they be approached by strangers, to immediately report the encounter to their teacher,” he said.

According to a notice issued by William S. Reyes Elementary School on May 29, parents were informed of this “stranger” and urged to take precautions for the safety of their children.

“An incident occurred on our campus after school involving a stranger approaching our students attempting to entice them to follow him,” reads the notice from school principal Naomi Nishimura. “Fortunately, the students refused and later reported the incident to their teacher.”

When contacted yesterday for details on the date of the incident and a description of the man, Nishimura said they did not want to disclose any more details that might jeopardize the investigation.

According to the notice, parents were advised that the school is taking heightened security measures to ensure students were safe on campus.

The parental notice further advises that an adult should accompany children to and from school if they walk. Parents were advised to pick up students right after their school programs end.

“We also ask that you talk to your child about not talking to strangers and to seek a trusting adult such as a teacher or school staff to report the incident right away,” the notice reads, urging that for similar incidents notes be taken of license plates and descriptions of the person. (With Ferdie de la Torre)

ShareTweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook0Share on Google+0Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest0Share on Tumblr0Email this to someonePrint this page
Dennis B. Chan | Reporter
Dennis Chan covers education, environment, utilities, and air and seaport issues in the CNMI. He graduated with a degree in English Literature from the University of Guam. Contact him at dennis_chan@saipantribune.com.

Related Posts

  • John sablan

    Pass a law to require PSS from end to end to install cameras. A law should not be required just install them.

  • John

    No pass a law that criminalizes that attempt part of abduction cases.

  • richard

    but if this took place last month, why we just hearing of it?

Hello;
Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.