The Center for Pacific Islands Studies at the University of Hawaii at Manoa is calling for submissions for a planned anthology of Micronesian writing.
The Center is soliciting submissions of written work by indigenous writers from Micronesia, including the islands of Guam, Saipan and the Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Pohnpei, Kosrae, Chuuk, Yap, Kiribati, the Marshall Islands and Nauru for possible inclusion in this first anthology focused specifically on this region of the Pacific Islands.
The deadline for submission is on Monday, June 1, 2009.
1) Send samples of your best work including poetry, short stories, one-act plays, essays, and excerpts from novels or memoirs. Shorter works are encouraged to allow room for a number of authors. Previously published work will be accepted as long as you retain the copyrights to the work and provide information on the place where the work was previously published (name of periodical, date and volume).
2) The submissions will be blind-reviewed by a panel of writers and editors who will make the final selections for the anthology.
3) Should any of your work be chosen, you will be notified within six months of the specific pieces to be used, including any suggestions by the Review Panel.
Submission packet should include:
1) A cover page with a) your name, b) titles of your submitted work, 3) the date of submission and 4) your contact information;
2) Typed samples of your best work (do not place your name on these); place your best pieces on top of the packet;
3) Your author biography and photo: A brief author biography of no more than 400 words and a publishable photo;
4) Your biography should include your island identity and your cultural identity since the anthology will be foregrounding indigenous writers of the region. For example: I am from Guam, and I am Chamoru or I am from Belau and I am Yapese.
5) Your contact information including:
A. Mailing address
B. E-mail address
C. Phone number
E-Mail submissions: E-mail is the preferred way of submission. Send your submission packet by Monday, June 1, 2009, to the editors, Dr. Evelyn Flores or Emelihter Kihleng, at email@example.com.
Submissions by mail: If submitting by mail or courier, Submission Packets must be postmarked June 1, 2009. Manuscripts and other materials will not be returned.
Send three (3) copies of your Submission Packet to:
Dr. Evelyn Flores, Editor
Division of English and Applied Linguistics
University of Guam
Mangilao, Guam 96923
Notifications and Queries
The center will get back to the authors with a decision within three to six months, barring the usual supertyphoons and power failures. If you haven't heard from us by then, e-mail the editors at firstname.lastname@example.org for the status of your submission. Each author whose work is accepted for publication will receive two copies of the anthology. (PR)