Acting Public Works secretary Anthony Camacho said yesterday that the Marpi landfill equipment operator's emergency contract has been extended anew up to March when they expect to wrap up the procurement process and award a three-year contract to one of the bidders.
As this developed, House Public Utilities, Transportation and Communications Committee chair Rep. Lorenzo Deleon Guerrero (IR-Saipan) asked Gov. Eloy S. Inos to cancel the Marpi landfill RFP until waste-to-energy or gasification technology for the landfill is considered.
Camacho said they have narrowed down the five original bidders to three. He said these three bidders will be interviewed by the evaluation committee next week.
Deleon Guerrero said the landfill should incorporate gasification technology as the CNMI moves toward using alternative sources of energy. An investor presentation on Friday on gasification potential in the CNMI has been postponed.
The House PUTC chair, however, said the governor took his request under advisement.
Camacho reiterated yesterday his call for the Department of Public Works to carefully evaluate the proposals. He said a three-year contract to operate the $10-million Marpi landfill has a hefty price tag.
The five companies that submitted proposals to DPW for the Marpi landfill contract are: RMIC, JG Sablan, Tang's Corp., GPPC, and SARS/Success International Corp., the current “emergency” contractor. Camacho declined to name the top three selected so far.