Superior Court Associate Judge David A. Wiseman issued today, Friday, an order that rejected the $50,000 bail posted by fugitive and former attorney general Edward T. Buckingham.
“The posting of bail by defendant's (Buckingham) attorney when defendant is not in custody is not a procedure that can be found in any case, rule or statute of the CNMI, and furthermore, does not have any significance or consequence as to the pending case in its present procedural posture, and therefore, shall not be accepted,” Wiseman said.
The judge ordered that the $50,000 posted by Buckingham's counsel, Brien Sers Nicholas, shall be held by the court, “which shall consider instructions from the depositor as to its disposition.”
Wiseman vacated the Superior Court's order dated Feb. 27, 2013, signed by a clerk of court that set the arraignment to March 18, 2013.
According to court records, upon Buckingham's posting of cashier's check worth $50,000 on Wednesday, the clerk of court ordered Buckingham to return for arraignment on March 18.
In vacating the court's Feb. 27 order, Wiseman said the defendant in this case is a fugitive from justice and is subject to the fugitive disentitlement doctrine previously set forth by the court and approved by the CNMI Supreme Court.
More details to follow.