Sergio M. Rangamar, a 36-year-old man accused of aiming a gun at his two cousins, was cleared of all charges yesterday.
After deliberating for only 30 minutes, the six Superior Court jurors rendered a unanimous verdict finding Rangamar not guilty of assault with a dangerous weapon. The charge involved the defendant’s cousin, Jacob Fitipol Nekaifes.
“You are a free man effective at this moment,” Associate Judge Joseph N. Camacho told Rangamar, who appeared calm after hearing the verdict.
Before the jury deliberation, Camacho dismissed three other charges: disturbing the peace involving Jacob Nekaifes, and assault with a dangerous weapon and disturbing the peace involving June Alfred Nekaifes.
Camacho found that the government failed to provide sufficient evidence to support the charges and noted that there was no testimony at all with respect to June Alfred Nekaifes.
The prosecution did not call June Nekaifes to the witness stand.
The court dismissed a criminal contempt charge on Monday.
Camacho dismissed the three charges yesterday after attorney Mark Scoggins, counsel for Rangamar, moved for a judgment of acquittal on all charges.
Scoggins made the motion shortly after assistant attorneys general Barbara Cepeda and James McAllister rested the government’s case after calling in eight witnesses.
Jacob Nekaifes testified on Monday that Rangamar aimed a gun at him and June Nekaifes, who was near him, in Gualo Rai on Jan. 31, 2013. Jacob Nekaifes said the defendant was about 45 feet away from them.
Rangamar has been detained since he was arrested in February 2013 for allegedly aiming a P38 9mm semi-automatic pistol at his two cousins for cleaning the premises of a property in Gualo Rai on Jan. 31, 2013. Police recovered the 9mm semi-automatic pistol and several bullets at the scene.
Last month, the Office of the Attorney General dismissed the charges of illegal possession of a firearm and illegal possession of ammunition.