{"id":246156,"date":"2017-02-09T06:06:34","date_gmt":"2017-02-08T20:06:34","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/www.saipantribune.com\/?p=246156"},"modified":"2017-02-09T06:06:34","modified_gmt":"2017-02-08T20:06:34","slug":"oag-sues-mv-luta-owners","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.saipantribune.com\/index.php\/oag-sues-mv-luta-owners\/","title":{"rendered":"OAG sues M\/V Luta owners"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>The CNMI government is suing the owners of cargo ship M\/V Luta for allegedly refusing to return the $400,000 in public funds that was loaned to them for the vessel\u2019s operations. <\/p>\n<p>The government, through the Office of the Attorney General, is suing Luta Mermaid LLC and its managers\/shareholders Abelina T. Mendiola, Deron T. Mendiola, Fidel S. Mendiola III, and Fidel Mendiola Jr. for unjust enrichment, conversion, and other claims.<\/p>\n<p>Lt. Gov. Victor Hocog and Finance Secretary Larrisa Larson were not among those named defendants in the government\u2019s lawsuit. <\/p>\n<p>Former Department of Public Lands secretary John DelRosario had sued Hocog and Larson in their personal and official capacities for handing over $400,000 in government funds for the operation of M\/V Luta.<\/p>\n<p>Last December, Superior Court judge pro tempore Timothy H. Bellas dismissed the claims against Hocog, ruling that Hocog\u2019s conduct was covered by legislative immunity.<\/p>\n<p>In the government\u2019s lawsuit filed on Tuesday, assistant attorneys general Christopher M. Timmons and Martin de los Angeles asked the Superior Court to enter a judgment for $400,000 in favor of the CNMI government.<\/p>\n<p>The prosecutors asked the court to order an accounting of the funds the defendants received from the government and to stop the M\/V Luta owners from transferring or wasting any property or asset that can be traced to the government\u2019s money.<\/p>\n<p>The prosecutors also asked the court to stop the defendants from removing M\/V Luta from the CNMI.<\/p>\n<p>According to the government\u2019s complaint, the Rota Legislative Delegation adopted Rota Legislative Delegation Resolution 19-3 on March 20, 2015, to authorize the Finance secretary to \u201cpay for fuel, lubrication, and costs necessary for the maiden voyage of M\/V Luta from Louisiana to Rota and to provide for the personnel and operational costs of the Office of the Mayor of Rota.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Hocog, who was Senate president at that time, participated in drafting and the adoption of that resolution.<\/p>\n<p>Resolution 19-3 expressed the will of the Rota delegation that the Finance secretary be authorized to loan $400,000 to the ship\u2019s owners, with the amount to be repaid within one year.<\/p>\n<p>On March 27, 2015, two days after being notified by the Rota Legislative Delegation that Resolution 19-3 had been adopted, Larson remitted $400,000 from the general fund to the defendants\u2019 bank account.<\/p>\n<p>Because of this transfer, the defendants allegedly received public funds without legal authorization. <\/p>\n<p>On Jan. 17, 2017, Larson asked the defendants to repay the $400,000.<\/p>\n<p>On Feb. 1, 2017, in a letter from the defendants to Larson, dated Jan. 31, 2017, they admitted to receiving the funds, the prosecutors said.<\/p>\n<p>The prosecutors said the defendants admit in the letter that the funds were deposited into their account on March 30, 2015, without any agreement about repayment.<\/p>\n<p>The defendants have not entered into any contract of any kind with any government agency for the repayment of the $400,000, they said.<\/p>\n<p>The prosecutors said the defendants have not agreed to use the public monies it received from the government for any public purpose and have made no payment to the government. <\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>The CNMI government is suing the owners of cargo ship M\/V Luta for allegedly refusing&#8230;<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":23,"featured_media":0,"comment_status":"open","ping_status":"open","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[900],"tags":[26,259,86,88],"class_list":["post-246156","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","hentry","category-featured","tag-cnmi","tag-lawsuit","tag-oag","tag-superior-court"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.saipantribune.com\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/246156","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.saipantribune.com\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.saipantribune.com\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.saipantribune.com\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/23"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.saipantribune.com\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=246156"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.saipantribune.com\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/246156\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.saipantribune.com\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=246156"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.saipantribune.com\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=246156"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.saipantribune.com\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=246156"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}