2 get prison terms for beating 3, fracturing skull of 1


Two of four persons accused of beating three persons in Chalan Kanoa last year and seriously injuring one were slapped with prison terms last Monday after pleading guilty in Superior Court.

At a change of plea hearing, Darren Michael, 24, pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and battery and assault with a dangerous weapon. Ethan Calvo, 20, pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and battery and disturbing the peace.

Associate Judge Kenneth L. Govendo sentenced Michael to a 10-year prison term and Calvo to three years imprisonment.

Michael shall not be eligible for parole until he has served seven years of his prison term.

Michael was given credit for 334 days of time already served in custody. He was ordered to pay a $100 court fee. He was allowed to start serving the prison term at the Department of Corrections tomorrow, Friday, at 8am.

Govendo sentenced Calvo to five years and six months in prison, all suspended except for three years.

Calvo, who was given credit for 357 days of time already served in custody, will be eligible for parole.

Calvo was ordered to pay $100 in court costs and a probation fee.

After serving his prison term, Calvo will be placed on supervised probation for two years.

Michael and Calvo were hold jointly liable with Steve H. Paul and a male juvenile to pay the three victims $21,478 in restitution.

The seriously injured victim, Gordon Phillip, incurred a total of $20,298 in medical expenses.

Michael punched Anisio Sakuna on March 5, 2017, and hit or commanded others to hit Phillip with brass knuckles and a bat. As a result, Phillip suffered a skull fracture.

Calvo repeatedly punched Phillip in the face. He also aided his co-defendants in beating Phillip.

Last Sept. 13, Steve Paul, 20, pleaded guilty to assault with a dangerous weapon and aggravated assault and battery. He was slapped with an eight-year prison term.

The case against the juvenile was sealed.

Police said that Phillip was brought to the Commonwealth Health Center, where he was admitted to the intensive care unit.

The two other victims, Sakuna and Albert Esefou, also suffered injuries, police said.

The wife of Sakuna told police that she and her husband were sitting in front of their house in Chalan Kanoa when they saw Michael chasing an unidentified man. The suspects later returned, resulting in a riot.

Ferdie De La Torre | Reporter
Ferdie Ponce de la Torre is a senior reporter of Saipan Tribune. He has a bachelor’s degree in journalism and has covered all news beats in the CNMI. He is a recipient of the CNMI Supreme Court Justice Award. Contact him at ferdie_delatorre@Saipantribune.com

Related Posts

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.