A blaze set a house on fire in Gualo Rai just before 2am Monday morning, leaving homeless a total of eight individuals. No one was hurt in the blaze
According to an American Red Cross statement, the multi-family dwelling was totally consumed by the fire. A total of six households were affected
The American Red Cross-NMI Chapter’s Disaster Action Team members—Jack Amirez, Claudine Atalig, and Richard Defan—were able to assist clients immediately, providing them with emergency assistance for food shelter and clothing.
In total, eight individuals were assisted. “Thankfully nobody was hurt during this incident,” said Amirez. “Material possessions can always be replaced [but] lives can’t—and that what matters.”
The Department of Public Safety has yet to release a report about the incident. The cause of the blaze has yet to be determined.
The American Red Cross urges the community to take steps to minimize the risk of a fires from happening in their homes. John Hirsh, executive director of the local chapter of the American Red Cross, said the aid agency continues to install free smoke alarms in the community.
“We encourage everyone who does not have one [smoke alarms] in their homes to contact the local Red Cross chapter to avail of the program,” he said.
This month, the American Red Cross-NMI Chapter, in collaboration with the CNMI Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services, will be canvassing neighborhoods on all three islands to install free smoke alarms, said J.D. Tenorio, disaster program manager of the American Red Cross.
For more information on how to avail of the free smoke alarms, call 234-3459.
“We are grateful for our volunteers and the continued support of generous donors and community members who with their help, we are able to assist victims of disaster by turning compassion into action,” said Tenorio.