Noel Quitugua’s Coconut Shrimp Kelaguen
Fresh/frozen shrimps 2 packs
Coconut 2-4 (ma’son between green and brown, to make 1 lb of chunky coconut meat)
Green onions 4 stems
Chives 5 stems
Yellow bell pepper 1
Red radish 5
Carrot 1 medium size
Salt 1 teaspoon
Purple cabbage 1
Crushed hot pepper, sweet onion (optional)
METHOD OF PREPARATION
1. Defrost shrimps, peel, slice in half, place in bowl, squeeze lemons, add 1 teaspoon salt, stir and let sit for five minutes until lemon juice soaks in
2. Husk then grate at least 3-4 (ma’son) coconuts to make 1-lb chunky coconut meat
3. Dice four stems of green onions, but only the white part or above the root to midsection.
4. Dice all five stems of chives.
5. Slice yellow bell pepper into about the size of toothpicks and use only half of it.
6. Slice two cucumbers in halves, then into thin diagonal shapes
7. Slice 1/4 of the purple cabbage.
8. Peel carrot, shred it then squeeze juice out juice.
9. Shred radish.
The next step is to mix all sliced and diced green onions, chives, yellow bell pepper, cucumbers sliced purple cabbage, shredded carrots, shredded carrots, shredded radish and the chunky coconut meat inside the lemon soaked shrimps and stir everything until thoroughly mixed together. Store in the refrigerator for about 10 to 15 minutes then serve chilled.