New rules for Filipino kids traveling abroad

Posted on Apr 21 2006

The Philippine Overseas Labor Office in the CNMI is informing Filipinos in the CNMI of the new guidelines for minors traveling alone abroad.

In a notice posted at its bulletin board in the POLO office in Nauru Building in Susupe, it explained about the Philippine government’s simplification of the process for minors that are traveling overseas.

The report said that children 18 years old and below do not need a travel clearance from the Department of Social Welfare and Development anymore if the minors are traveling abroad with either a parent or with a legal guardian.

If the minors are traveling alone and can show proof that their parents are in the foreign service or are living abroad, then they have to show a dependent’s visa, a valid pass or ID that will show that they are living with their parents overseas. However, a clearance must still be secured from the DSWD as the agency’s measure against human trafficking. The clearance must be presented at the airport by the minors living in the Philippines who are traveling alone or are accompanied by persons other than their parents.

The report said the new guidelines took effect in March under that DSWD administrative order 02-2006.

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.