Food poisoning

Posted on Apr 21 2006

Q: Are the employers required to report to the Commonwealth Health Center in case of food poisoning?

A: Employers shall report to the Division of Health Services and the Health and Safety Section any case of food poisoning or unusual prevalence of any illness in which fever, diarrhea, sore throat, vomiting or jaundice is a prominent symptom. According to the Alien Labor Rules and Regulations, employers shall also report to the Division of Health Services the name and address of any nonresident worker known to have or suspected to have a communicable disease.

* * *

Q: If an alien worker is injured at his or her barracks, can he or she readily obtain first aid medicine from the employer?

A: Employers are required to provide adequate first aid supplies available at the housing site for the emergency treatment of injured persons.

* * *

Q: Can an alien worker transfer from one employer to another?

A: Yes, the worker can do so provided that no qualified resident worker is available to fill the position to be filled by the transferring worker. The employer must also comply with applicable provisions of the Alien Labor Rules and Regulations. Job classifications and wage rates may be changed through the transfer process.

Submit questions on labor issues to Saipan Tribune via e-mail at, or by calling 235-6397, 235-2440, or 235-8747 and leaving a message at Ext. 133 or 135. You may also submit questions in person by writing it down and dropping it off at the Saipan Tribune’s office on the second floor of the Century Insurance Building on Beach Road, Garapan.

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.