The National Environmental Policy Act requires federal agencies to evaluate a range of reasonable alternatives to achieve the purpose of and need for the Proposed Action. The Navy evaluated the potential environmental impacts of three alternatives, including a No Action Alternative.
• Adjusts the types and levels of training and testing activities to meet current and future military readiness requirements.
• Consists of activities and requirements associated with development, testing, and introduction of new vessels, aircraft, and weapons systems.
• Reduces the amount of active sonar estimated to be necessary to meet training requirements.
Alternative 2 (Preferred Alternative)
• Includes all activities under Alternative 1.
• Includes additional events should unanticipated emergent world events require increased readiness levels.
No Action Alternative
• No authorizations or permits would be issued by the National Marine Fisheries Service.
• Proposed at-sea and FDM training and testing activities would not be conducted.
• Strike warfare (dropping of ordnance) on FDM would not be conducted.
• Other military activities not associated with Proposed Action would continue.
• Purpose and need would not be met.