The Superior Court has allowed a 38-year-old rape suspect to post 10 percent of his original bail amount so he could be temporarily released from jail.
Wen Long Zhao, who allegedly raped his former girlfriend last year, was allowed to post $5,000 of his original $50,000 bail that was set on Dec. 5, 2017.
However, the Superior Court denied Zhao’s request to be released on his own recognizance and to be released on an unsecured bond.
Zhao’s jury trial will start on Nov. 26, 2018, before Superior Court Associate Judge Wesley M. Bogdan.
Zhao was represented by Chief Public Defender Douglas Hartig and assistant public defender Heather Zona.
Assistant attorney general Teri Tenorio represented the CNMI.
According to the Saipan Tribune archive, Zhao was arrested last Dec. 6, 2017 for sexual assault in the first degree and disturbing the peace.
Police officers who went to the house reportedly said the victim appeared frightened and had been crying. She was brought to the hospital and the physician who saw her concluded that the test was positive for penetration, police said.
The victim told police that she had ended her relationship with Zhao in November. The victim said she told Zhao that she would be moving out of their shared residence. That same day, after Zhao returned home from work, he and the victim shared a meal and after eating, the victim walked to her room to continue packing her belongings.
Zhao allegedly came from behind and raped her.