The Superior Court has allowed to reduce the bail of a man who was arrested for unlawful discharge of a firearm after he shot himself in the leg.
Superior Court Associate Judge Teresa Kim-Tenorio granted last Tuesday Don Pangelinan Sanchez Jr.’s request to modify the previous bail imposed on him. Kim-Tenorio allowed Sanchez to post 10% of the $30,000 cash bail initially imposed on him but all the other bail conditions would remain in effect.
The court ordered Sanchez to return to court for his arraignment today, Sept. 28, at 9am.
Sanchez, 37, was represented by the Public Defender’s Office while assistant attorney general Heather Barcinas appeared for the government.
Pangelinan is charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, storage of firearm, persons permitted to process ammunition, and firearm owner’s identification card requirement.
According to court documents, after accidentally shooting himself in the leg with a handgun, Sanchez told police that he was a victim of a drive-by shooting. However, upon further investigation, police learned from witnesses at the scene that the incident was self-inflicted as a result of an accidental discharge of a pistol. The pistol was later recovered and procured as evidence.
A witness told police that he saw Sanchez inside a Federal Emergency Management Agency-issued tent and that’s where the defendant took a black handgun from his backpack and cocked it. Later, the witness said he heard a loud bang and saw Sanchez put the handgun on the table. The witness said Sanchez tried to stand up, but fell down on the ground.
Sanchez was previously convicted of sale or possession of illegal firearm and was released from the Department of Corrections on June 25, 2018. (Kimberly A. Bautista)