Barney & Friends tops Lose Big, Win Big

Barney & Friends bested 73 teams to rule TanHoldings’ Lose Big, Win Big (Saipan Edition 2) competition.

The winning squad is made up of Roldan Pelagio and Bryan Valenton, who combined for a body fat loss of 49.80 percent at the conclusion of the three-month contest. For being the “biggest loser,” the pair won the biggest cash prize at stake—$5,000. TanHoldings president Jerry Tan, TanHoldings vice president for Corporate Affairs and Human Resources Catherine Attao-Toves, and Tan Siu Lin Foundation manager Merlie Tolentino presented the $5,000 to Pelagio and Valenton during the awards ceremony hosted by TanHoldings Corporate Affairs’ Community Relations director Carline Sablan last Friday at the Nami Bar.

“When we started with the contest, we never thought it would be possible to lose this big. But, we made progress each week as we follow a plant-based diet, exercise, and stay committed to the program. No meat, sweets, and dairy. We plan our meal three days ahead,” said Pelagio when asked by Sablan about their struggles and successes during the three-month period. “It was tough, but through my partner‘s cooperation, we did it. We worked together.”

When Pelagio and Valenton started the program in August, they had a total body fat percentage of 51.2, which they turned to 25.7 percent in final weigh-in. Pelagio tipped the scale at 198.9lbs with 22.9 percent body fat, while Valenton was heavier at 203lbs and 28 percent body fat. During the final weigh-in last Friday morning, Valenton is down to 165.4lbs with 16 percent body fat or a loss of 40 percent. Pelagio, on the other hand, dropped 60 percent body fat and now has 9 percent and weighs 160lbs.

Besides Pelagio and Valenton, TanHoldings and the TSL Foundation also recognized seven other teams during the awards ceremony and handed them cash prizes.

Team Bugbog of Gillian Lucero and Michael Ramilo combined for 35.8 body fat percentage and loss of 41.12 percent to take the runner-up prize of $3,000, while Alpha Pi Chupapi’s Gian Flores and John Ray Lampano had a team body fat percentage of 33.2 and total drop of 25.56 percent to win $1,000.

Five other squads were awarded fourth place and each team received $200. Fried Pork Intestine’s Patrick Castillon and Ronnel Mostales posted 24.86 percent body fat loss; Pussy Cats’ Catlyn Gozum and Debbie Mahinay registered 24.04 percent; Pork and Chop’s Jershwin Angeles and Liz Phan logged 24.03 percent; TRAC’s Ricky Castro and Ronda Vernice recorded 23.79 percent; and the Survivors’ Ann Quiocho and Maisselle Ramilo tallied 23.08 percent.

“The last time I weigh-in like this was when I was in high school,” said Angeles, who started the program at 142.2lbs and now weighs 125.6lbs, losing 30.30 percent body fat.

“I wish there is a short cut, but there isn’t, one really has to work hard to achieve your ideal weight,” he added during the sharing portion at the awards ceremony.

Derek Cutting, owner of Latte Gym where the initial and final weigh-ins took place, was also present at the awards ceremony and urged all participants to continue their journey and even push themselves harder next time.

TanHoldings and TSL Foundation, which started the program last year, vows to continue the competition and hopes more and more people will participate in the event. More than 200 individuals joined the Saipan Edition of Lose Big, Win Big, while TanHoldings also has hundreds of participants in its corporate edition (for employees only).

“The Tan Siu Lin Foundation is one with the community in the promotion of good health and active lifestyle. Through our support to Lose Big, Win Big, we hope to encourage the community to give priority to their health by practicing proper nutrition and having a regular exercise and staying committed to their goal of living a healthy life not only for themselves, but also for their family members,” Tolentino said.

“Congratulations for making it this far. You did it and TanHoldings is happy and proud to be part of this program as we all aim to have a productive, healthy, and active community members,” Attao-Toves said.

ShareTweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook0Share on Google+0Share on LinkedIn1Pin on Pinterest0Share on Tumblr0Email this to someonePrint this page
Contributing Author Author

Related Posts

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.