Bidding for 2 power generators for PP1 still in review

No winner has been named yet in the bidding for two power generators for the Commonwealth Utilities Corp.’s Power Plant 1 in Lower Base, according to CUC executive director Gary P. Camacho.

In an interview last week, Camacho said the bids have already been opened and that CUC is still reviewing them. The bidding was closed last Oct. 29.

Camacho said CUC wants to buy just one power engine, and if the price of one engine is just within their budget, then they will get one. However, if the bids show they can afford to buy two, then they will buy two engines.

Power engines 8 and 4 are currently not running as they were damaged in the past. CUC held the bidding to replace them.

As of last Nov. 27, Power Plant 1 in Lower Base reportedly had a 45-megawatt capacity available. The peak load as of last Nov. 26 was 18.1 MW.

Power Plant 2 in Lower Base is still offline while undergoing inspections and testing.

Power Plant IV in Puerto Rico, which has 6 MW in available capacity, is offline and is a standby station, according to Camacho.

Ferdie De La Torre | Reporter
Ferdie Ponce de la Torre is a veteran journalist who has covered all news beats in the CNMI. Born in Lilo-an, Cebu City in the Philippines, De la Torre graduated from the University of Santo Tomas with a bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is a recipient of many commendations and awards, including the CNMI Judiciary’s prestigious Justice Award for his over 10 years of reporting on the judiciary’s proceedings and decisions. Contact him at ferdie_delatorre@saipantribune.com

Related Posts

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.