CNMI logs 60th COVID-19 case
Guam recorded its youngest COVID-19 death yesterday when a 10-year-old boy with underlying health conditions passed away at the U.S. Naval Hospital, making him Guam’s 26th COVID-19-related fatality so far. This comes on the heels of four other COVID-19-related fatalities in Guam over the weekend.
In the CNMI, its total number of positive cases of COVID-19 infections rose to 60 last Saturday when one traveler tested positive upon arrival on Saipan.
According to the Guam Joint Information Center, the latest fatality in Guam passed away on Saturday night at approximately 10pm (ChST). The 10-year-old boy tested positive for COVID-19 on Sept. 3, 2020.
“As your governor, I have made difficult announcements with each life we lose to COVID-19. With the passing of this 10-year-old boy, this is the hardest one I have had to make. This is news no parent ever wants to receive. He was just a child, with a full life ahead of him. There is no pain deeper than losing a child,” said Guam Gov. Lou Leon Guerrero. “To his family, friends, and everyone who loved and knew him, [first gentleman] Jeff [Cook], Lt. Gov. Josh [Tenorio], and I send our deepest condolences and sympathies. …With his passing, we are forced to see the reality that COVID-19 does not spare even the most innocent among us. None of us are immune to this virus, and we need to do whatever it takes to ensure we have no more days of grief.”
In the CNMI’s 60th positive case, the traveler was identified through travel screening and was confirmed positive upon arrival, according to a statement from the Commonwealth Healthcare Corp.. The individual was then taken to the designated government facility, which is the Kanoa Resort in Susupe.
CHCC has conducted a contact tracing for the most immediate contacts, which include passengers on the same flight, close family members, and friends.
COVID-19 in Guam
Guam reported its 22nd COVID-19-related death last Sept. 10. A 59-year-old male with comorbidities that were intensified by COVID-19. He was a known positive case and was admitted to Guam Memorial Hospital last Sept 8, and was pronounced dead at approximately 7:59pm on Sept. 12.
A day later, JIC reported Guam’s 23rd death, a 95-year-old man who also had underlying health conditions. He was pronounced dead at approximately 3:20am last Sept. 11. Additionally, he was admitted to GMH last Aug. 29.
Within the same day, Guam saw its 24th death, a 91-year-old male who was battling multiple health conditions. The man was admitted to GMH last Aug. 26, and was pronounced dead last Sept. 11 at approximately 11:59pm.
Last Sept. 12, JIC reported Guam’s 25th death, this time, a 58-year-old female who also had multiple health conditions. She was admitted to the Guam Regional Medical Center last Sept. 11 and was positive for COVID-19. She was then pronounced dead the next day at approximately 1:38pm.
“It seems our grief has no respite…” said Guam’s Leon Guerrero. “…One of the most important things we can all do is check in with each other. Reach out to your loved ones, check in on them, and ask how they’re doing. Though this pandemic has forced us to isolate, it does not mean we have to cope with this alone.”