Bringing the MHS admin inside classrooms


Incoming Marianas High School principal Eric Evangelista intends to boost the amount of time the school’s administrative staff spend in classrooms in a bid to see for themselves whatever concerns students and teachers may have throughout the school year.

To accomplish this effort, Evangelista will be implementing the “80/20” rule, which instructs himself and vice principals Melanie Sablan and Christine Tudela to use 80% of their time to visit classrooms and observe any issues or concerns and the remaining 20% dedicated to administrative duties.

He said that, as the incoming principal, he intends to strengthen the school’s academic core and maintain active participation in academic competitions. He believes that with this, students that transition into college can achieve success in a new college environment.

Evangelista said that he will focus on building relationship with the students and teachers. One way he believes this can be done is to increase student scholastic activities, as he intends to keep MHS occupied in events in the upcoming months.

He believes this will have a “domino effect” in which one move will create a significant effect in other areas of a student or teacher’s life. “Instilling a better relationship with both the students and teachers will increase performance, not only academically, but innovatively and creatively,” Evangelista said.

Evangelista is one of many principals and vice principals who were reassigned last July, as he moved from Da’ok Academy to replace current Francisco M. Sablan Middle School principal Cherlyn Cabrera. Evangelista reported that there are roughly over 1,500 students registered at MHS this school year.

Marc Venus | Reporter
Marc Venus is the Saipan Tribune's public health and education reporter. He has an associate degree in Applied Sciences in Computer Applications and is working on his bachelor’s degree at the Northern Marianas College. Contact him at

Related Posts

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.