The free burning permits issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services will be revoked this week as a result of successful Super Typhoon Yutu recovery efforts.
Nearly three months post-Super Typhoon Yutu, the CNMI is nearly back to normal and the free burning of typhoon debris will no longer be allowed.
According to DFEMS Commissioner Clyde Norita, because of the outstanding job done by both the Department of Public Works and the Saipan Mayor’s Office, typhoon debris have been nearly completely cleared from the villages.
“Most of the debris have been cleaned and Public Works and the [mayor’s office] has done a great job … so there is no need for it [free burning permits] anymore,” he said.
Norita expects to revoke the free burning permit by Monday, Jan. 21, so those who still have debris to burn will be obligated to apply for a permit or risk citation.
This week, I will revoke the free burning permit…this week will be the last week and then you would have to start applying for a burning permit,” he said.
Norita said that the information would be publicly released by next week.
“The public information will be out this week and starting next week Monday, you have to apply for burning permits,” he said.
Immediately following Super Typhoon Yutu, DFEMS issued the permit that allowed anyone to burn their typhoon related debris freely without the risk of citation.
DFEMS limited the time to burn green waste to Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday and individuals could only burn green waste from 3pm to 5pm on weekdays and 9am to 5pm on Saturday.