Superior Court Associate Judge Teresa Kim-Tenorio dismissed yesterday two separate criminal cases against two men after the prosecutor failed to properly identify the defendants during a preliminary hearing.
Kim-Tenorio dismissed all counts against Sheldon U. Remoket and Dickson Teruo Cosmes.
The Office of the Attorney General charged Remoket with violating an order of protection, criminal mischief, theft, and burglary.
The OAG charged Cosmes with assault and battery and disturbing the peace.
At the preliminary hearing, assistant attorney general Clayton Graef called to the stand police detective Vincent A. Igisaiar in Remoket’s case, and police detective Rhonda C. John in Cosmes’ case.
Assistant public defender Michael Sato served as counsel for Remoket and Cosmes.
In dismissing the cases, Kim-Tenorio said after hearing the testimony of witnesses and considering the arguments of the counsels, the court found that the government failed to properly identify Remoket and Cosmes in court.
Kim-Tenorio said in Remoket’s case, the government also failed to state that this matter took place in the CNMI.
Police arrested last month the 28-year-old Remoket, who, despite a temporary restraining order prohibiting him from having any contact with his former girlfriend, allegedly went to her house in Koblerville and asked for a share of their son’s food stamp last Feb. 2.
Remoket also allegedly put water in the gas tank and engine oil system of a Toyota pickup truck belonging to Sean Raboy Mendiola and scratched the CD player inside the vehicle last Feb. 2.
Remoket also allegedly stole from Mendiola’s truck a jack, a USB flash drive, and other tools.
Last month, police arrested the 30-year-old Cosmes, a sex offender who allegedly punched his girlfriend during an argument over her Facebook account.