CNMI FACT SHEET: 2nd economic impact payments or ‘stimulus checks’

Posted on Feb 01 2021


How much will you get?
• Individuals earning up to $75,000 will receive $600.
• Couples earning up to $150,000 will receive $1,200.
• For every child in the household, you will receive $600.
• Eligible individuals don’t need a minimum income for the payment. However, for higher income individuals, the payment amount is reduced by 5% of the amount that their adjusted gross income exceeds the following thresholds:
• $150,000 for taxpayers filing a joint return or filing a return as a qualifying widow or widower
• $112,500 for taxpayers filing as head of household
• $75,000 for all others
Qualifying widows and widowers whose AGI is more than $75,000 may not have received the full amount of their payments. Those individuals may claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on their 2020 return. Please refer to the instructions for the 2020 Form 1040CM for more information.

Who are not eligible?
• Individuals who were claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s 2019 tax return (for example, a child or student who may be claimed on a parent’s tax return or a dependent parent who may be claimed on an adult child’s tax return).
• Individuals that do not have an SSN that is valid for employment issued before the due date of your 2019 tax return (including any extensions).
• Individuals deceased before 2020.
• Estates or trusts
However, you may be eligible to claim a Recovery Rebate Credit on Line 30 of your 2020 tax return. Refer to the instructions for the 2020 Form 1040 for more information.

How will the money be sent?
• Stimulus checks will be issued via direct deposit or by check and mailed to the address indicated on the return, or last known address. People can opt for direct deposit by registering through

I have no reportable income for 2019. Ddo I qualify?
·      Yes. You must file a 2019 income tax return and report zero income. You also must have a valid social security number and meet the CNMI residency requirements for tax purposes.
I’m a Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or Veterans benefit recipient, do I need to take any action? (added Jan.y 5, 2021)
·      No action is necessary for you to receive the second payment. Your payment will be issued based on information the IRS has on file for your 2019 tax return, or information provided by a federal agency that issued benefits to you (Social Security Administration, Veterans Affairs, or Railroad Retirement Board). If you don’t get a payment and you are eligible to receive one, you may be able to claim it on your 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit.

Will a deceased individual receive the payment?
• A payment won’t be issued to someone who has died before Jan. 1, 2020. If you filed a joint return in 2019 and your spouse died before Jan. 1, 2020, you won’t receive a $600 payment for your deceased spouse, but you’ll still be issued up to $600 for you and $600 for any qualifying children, if all other eligibility criteria are met.
Regarding eligible individuals who died in 2020, the Recovery Rebate Credit may be claimed on line 30 of their 2020 tax return. Refer to the instructions for the 2020 Form 1040 for more information.

Will my second Economic Impact Payment be offset if I owe a federal tax liability, have a payment agreement with the IRS, or owe other federal debts? (updated Jan. 19, 2021)
• No.

Will my second Economic Impact Payment be offset if my spouse or I owe past-due
child support? (updated Jan. 19, 2021)

• No.

I submitted my bank information on my most recent tax return (2019) and also in the stimulus portal, which account information will used for my deposit?
• The most current bank information received by DRT will be used. Your bank information provided on the stimulus portal will override bank information from your tax return.

What should I do if the amount I received is not as expected?
• If it is determined your actual benefit exceeds your payment received, DRT is able to process the remaining payment before March 21, 2021. You may also claim your remaining payment as a Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 income tax return.

I’m not an American citizen. Do I qualify?
Yes, as long as you’re living and working in the U.S. with a valid Social Security number and valid work authorization. That includes green card holders, and it generally includes those on work visas, such as a CW, H-1B, or H-2A. (PR)

Press Release
News under Press Release are official statements issued to Saipan Tribune giving information on a particular matter.

Related Posts

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.