The Department of Public Safety will be conducting a total of two sobriety checkpoints on Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2020. The first checkpoint will be along Chalan Pale Arnold, Puerto Rico, to Chalan Pale Arnold, Cha-lan Lau Lau from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. The second checkpoint will be along Beach Road Chalan Lau Lau, to Beach Road, Chalan Piao from 9:30pm to 1:30am.
The purpose of these checkpoints is to promote public safety while increasing the awareness of the dangers of driving while under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or medication while on the island’s roads. Locations of these checkpoints were predetermined based on the number of auto accidents, and impaired driving violations in these areas. (PR)
4.8 magnitude earthquake in the Marianas
At 8:17pm on Dec. 26, 2020, a report of a 4.8 magnitude earthquake occurred in the Mariana Islands region. Currently, no tsunami warnings or advisories are issued by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center. For more information, contact the CNMI EOC State Warning Point at 237-8000. (PR)
NMC student service hours
The Northern Marianas College is reminding the community that its admissions, finance, and financial aid offices are open for in-person consultations but COVID-19 safety measures are still in place: maintain social distance and always wear a mask/face covering on campus.
The office hours are as follows:
• Office of Admissions and Records: 9am – 4pm, Monday to Thursday
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Phone: (670) 237-6770
• Financial Aid: 9am – 4pm, Monday to Thursday
• Email: email@example.com
• Phone: (670) 237-6791
• Finance (Cashier): 8:30am – 12pm, Monday to Thursday
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Phone: (670) 237-6813
Updates on Pell disbursements
The NMC Financial Aid Office staff members are working to process the refund disbursements for fall 2020 Pell Grant. While the financial aid and refunds for the fall 2020 semester are being processed, students can still register for spring 2021 courses.
While attempting to register, students may find themselves on a stop list or may have a hold on their account. This may mean a couple of things:
• There is a balance (after Pell awards are applied) in the student’s account that must be paid off first before you can register. Contact the NMC Finance Office to make arrangements for payment or to execute a promissory note.
• If the student has applied for Financial Aid such as FAFSA (Pell Grant) and did not receive an email from the Financial Aid Office indicating their Pell Grant award, then the student is most likely pending documents or FAO systems are indicating that the student did not submit an application. (PR)
Mariners missing in Marshall Islands
U.S. Coast Guard search crews are aiding Joint Rescue Coordination Center Fiji in two search and rescue missions off Kiribati. An Air Station Barbers Point HC-130 Hercules aircrew began conducting search patterns Sunday morning. At 8:57pm, Thursday, JRCC Honolulu watchstanders received agency assist requests from JRCC Fiji for three overdue mariners on a 15-foot wooden skiff off of Kiribati. JRCC Honolulu received a second agency assist request on Saturday for one mariner on a disabled 20-foot wooden skiff approximately 150-miles from the first search location. (USCG)