CUC warns vs improper use of generators


Commonwealth Utilities Corp. executive director Gary P. Camacho advised residents using generators to ensure that their main breaker on their home panel is turned off to prevent any electrical back-feed.

“This poses a danger to line crew and severe injury and death can result from these incorrectly installed generators,” Camacho said.

An unidentified woman was found dead at the Hana Health Massage in Susupe Tuesday morning. Police believe she was a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning from a running power generator.

In his advisory, Camacho said residents should not use generators without the proper electrical switches.

Camacho said all generators should be connected through a double throw switch to protect the property and the line crews working on the system.

He said incorrectly connected generators can cause a back-feed through the secondary wiring back to the overhead transformer, re-energizing the overhead system to 7,970 volts.

Meanwhile, Camacho advised the public to refrain from damaging downed power cables as this will cause a delay in power restoration efforts.

Camacho urged the public to contact CUC’s Call Center for assistance if cables prevent access to their residence so that qualified personnel can safely remove cables.

“Residents are warned that severe injury and death can result from improper handling,” he said.

Obet Aguilar

Related Posts

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.