Deadline nears to file request for FEMA Public Assistance


The government of CNMI agencies and certain private nonprofit agencies that may be eligible for federal and Commonwealth disaster assistance must submit Request for Public Assistance forms to the CNMI Homeland Security by Sept. 4, 2015.

The Public Assistance Program provides grants to Commonwealth governments and certain private non-profit entities to assist them with the response to and recovery from disasters.

Public Assistance funds are available to eligible applicants as part of the federal disaster declaration of Aug. 5, 2015, for the typhoon that occurred on Aug. 1-3, 2015, in the CNMI.

The primary goal of the Public Assistance program, administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and CNMI, is to provide reimbursement for eligible expenses for emergency response as well as the repair and replacement of damaged public facilities.

Under the PA program, FEMA reimburses successful applicants for 75 percent of their eligible expenses, while the other 25 percent is the non-federal share. The Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas pays 75 percent of the non-federal share of eligible costs incurred by the territorial agencies and special districts, with local agencies picking up the remaining 25 percent.

Commonwealth agencies and certain private nonprofits are responsible for the entire non-federal share. The federal portion is paid directly to the territory, with CNMI being the grantee, which then makes disbursements to sub-grantees, the local jurisdictions and organizations.

For forms and more information on the PA program, contact CNMI Public Affairs Officer, Ivan Blanco at (670) 237-8040.

The RPA form also can be submitted via email to: Nerissa Benavente at

Sept. 4, 2015, is the deadline to submit RPAs. (FEMA)

Press Release
News under Press Release are official statements issued to Saipan Tribune giving information on a particular matter.

Related Posts

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.