$300K brings total to $8M
The Federal Emergency Management Agency notified the Office of Management and Budget on Thursday of the approval of two more projects from the Hazard Mitigation 404 Program to retrofit two facilities with storm shutters amounting to $328,982, said the Office of the Governor last week.
This brings it to over $8 million in Hazard Mitigation funds to have been approved for the Commonwealth.
Seven projects were submitted for FEMA review and six projects have currently been approved.
Project No. 5 will be used for the Kagman Community Center Storm Mitigation Project and Project No. 6 is for the Rota Mayor’s Office Storm Readiness Project.
Last week, Office of Management and Budget’s Virginia Villagomez says that one of the seven projects includes water system mitigation, emergency backup generators, concrete poles, and transformers.
She expressed that this funding is in alignment with the goals of the administration to improve resiliency and mitigation.
She says that these efforts to strengthen and improve typhoon readiness for the Commonwealth are expected to increase upon the final determination of the total cost of Typhoon Soudelor’s operations with the available funding requiring a non-federal cost share of 10 percent, of which FEMA will pay for 90 percent to the total cost.
Sub-granted to the Office of the Mayor for the Municipality of Rota, Project No. 1 will address Rota’s Office on Aging’s storm shutters, Project No. 2 will be for Rota’s Department of Public Safety’s storm shutter project, Project No. 3 is for the Kannat Tabla Flood Control and Drainage for Phase 1, and the fourth project is for state management costs accrued during hazard mitigation for the Office of the Governor.
The CNMI should expect a total of $13 million in FEMA HMGP funding by the end of 2016.