Hundreds of Filipino-Americans will stage protests in various cities of the United States in solidarity with Filipinos in the Philippines and overseas as an expression of outrage and to denounce the secretive burial of the late Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos at a hero’s cemetery in Manila last Nov. 18.
In the CNMI, Saipan and Tinian will join the protest. The protest on Saipan will be held starting 5pm today at the San Jose intersection along Beach Road. The protest on Tinian will also be held today, 5pm, at the San Jose Village.
Global protest details are as follows:
• Los Angeles. Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2016, 4:30pm in front of Philippine Consulate, 3435 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, California.
• San Francisco. Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2016, 11:30am, in front of the Philippine Consulate, 447 Sutter St., San Francisco, California.
• New York. Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2016, 11:30am, in front of the Philippine Consulate. New York City.
• Chicago. Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2016, 6pm to 8pm, Rizal Center, 1332 W Irving Park Rd, Chicago, Illinois.
• Washington, D.C. Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2016, 11:30 am, venue TBA
• Vancouver, B.C. Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2016, 11:30am, PCG Office at Canada Place, Global Pinoy Diaspora, Canada.
• Scotland. Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2016, 12pm, Princess St. in front of Balmoral Hotel, Edinburg, Scotland, 12pm.
• Hong Kong. South Lane, Shek Tong Tsui, no time
• Ireland. Dublin, Ireland 12pm
• Japan. Arizugawa, Koen Gazebo Area, Minami Azabu Minato Ku Tokyo, Japan 9m to 1pm
• London. London, UK, Nov. 30, 4pm
• Malta. Mostadome, Mosta Malta, 6:20pm
• Sydney, Australia. Sunday, Nov. 27, 2016, 11am to 2pm, First Fleet Park, Circular Quay
The overseas protesters, including human rights victims and their families, demand that Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte order the exhumation of the remains of Marcos, that Duterte be held accountable for allegedly allowing the burial and for encouraging vigilante justice (as of November 2016, more than 5,000 people have been killed in the Philippines’ drug war), to stop the impunity of extrajudicial killings in the guise of the anti-drug war in the Philippines, to stop Duterte’s threats to relive the Marcos era by placing the country under martial law, and to respect human rights!