• Mobil Smiles Reward
5 FAMILIES NOW HOMELESS

Fire razes Chalan Laulau homes

Share

A structure fire engulfed several apartment homes in Chalan Laulau yesterday, leaving five families without a place to live.

According to a news release from the Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services yesterday, the fire, which started in one of the units of an eight-unit staffing container apartment owned by Conwood Construction Corp., has been ruled an “accidental fire.” The ignition source was identified as a “faulty electrical” on an air conditioning unit in apartment unit 2, at a southern part of the apartment.

Fortunately, no injuries were reported. A total of five families were referred to the American Red Cross-NMI Chapter for further assistance with their living situation.

The DFEMS press statement stated that a male individual called 911 at approximately 9:12am yesterday, reporting a structure fire near Conwood in Chalan Lau Lau.

DFEMS’ Engine 5, Rescue 1, and Medic 1 units responded to the location at around 9:13am. Engine 5 arrived on scene first and confirmed it to be a structure fire.

DFEMS company commander Lt. Clinton Ngiraked declared the fire under control at around 9:40am and the scene was secured by 10:08am.

DFEMS Division of Arson Investigation took over the scene, led by Firefighter III Benjamin Manglona, who stated that units 1,2,3, and 4 of the apartment complex sustained the most damage from the fire while apartment units 5, 6, 7, and 8 sustained smoke and soot damage. The origin of the fire was apparent on apartment unit 2; the southern side of the structure.

Back in March, the CNMI saw a structure fire behind the Pugua Store in Gualo Rai. At the scene, DFEMS personnel confirmed the fire was a structure fire at U Luck Poker. All occupants had evacuated from U Luck Poker and no individuals were injured and no treatment was provided at the scene for medical complaints related to the fire.

Preliminary scene investigation by the Division of Arson Investigation revealed the point of origin was located outside on the eastern side of the building. The fire had started from the generator and spread into the storage room of the establishment.

Kimberly B. Esmores | Reporter
Kimberly Albiso Bautista has covered a wide range of news beats, including the community, housing, crime, and more. She now covers sports for the Saipan Tribune. Contact her at kimberly_bautista@saipantribune.com.

Related Posts

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.