Intoxicated lifeguard allegedly punches sleeping wife


An intoxicated lifeguard allegedly punched the face of his sleeping wife, who moved to a couch to avoid having sex with him at their apartment in San Roque on early morning Thursday.

Youme Kumuch Sharry, 27, was arrested for assault and battery, and disturbing the peace.

The victim was transported by medics to the Commonwealth Healthcare Center, where she received four stitches on a laceration to the right side of her bottom lip.

At a hearing on Friday, Superior Court Associate Judge Joseph N. Camacho granted a third party custodian and allowed Sharry to post a $500 cash and $4,500 in unsecured bond.

Preliminary hearing will be on July 27 at 9am.

Police Detective Peter A. Aldan stated in his report that the couple was drinking with some friends at a bar in Garapan and left the establishment on Thursday at 12:30am.

As the wife lay down on the bed at their apartment unit, Sharry took their baby back from the bedroom of his mother-in-law. Sharry then placed the baby next to his wife.

Sharry told the wife that he would be in the living room to finish drinking beer and play a game on their Xbox.

Aldan said that at 3am, the wife was awakened when Sharry was trying to take off her underwear.

The wife yelled at Sharry to stop as she was sleeping. She then pushed him away. He apologized then lay down on the bed.

The wife moved to the living room, where she slept on the couch because she didn’t want him to wake her up again and try to take off her underwear.

The wife was later awakened when she felt pain on her lower lip and jaw. When she opened her eyes, she saw Sharry standing over her with both clenched fists.

As she noticed blood on her face and felt dizzy, she got up from the couch and ran to her mother’s room, woke her up, and asked her to call 911.

Sharry walked into their bedroom. The mother-in-law told Sharry that he needs to get out because she already called the police.

The mother-in-law said she was awakened by her daughter, who was crying, at 3am and saw she had blood all over her face and shirt.

The mother-in-law said Sharry came into her room and stated he would not leave until he gets back his bank card.

The mother-in-law said since she could not find the bank card from her daughter’s purse, she gave him $30 and asked him to just go away.

Responding police officers arrested Sharry at 4:32am that same day.

Ferdie De La Torre | Reporter
Ferdie Ponce de la Torre is a senior reporter of Saipan Tribune. He has a bachelor’s degree in journalism and has covered all news beats in the CNMI. He is a recipient of the CNMI Supreme Court Justice Award. Contact him at

Related Posts

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.