Japanese govt offers scholarship for US citizens


Qualified students who wish to study or do research in Japan may be granted scholarship as the Japanese government is offering funding for education, the Consulate-General of Japan in Hagatna, Guam announced.

Through the Japanese Ministry of Education, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) Scholarship Program for 2016, students may apply for undergraduate studies, specialized training, and research.

Five- and three-year scholarships are being offered for studies at a university and specialized training colleges, respectively.

Specialized training colleges field of study majors include Technology, Education and Welfare, Business, and Culture and General Education, among others.

With the exception of those who will be doing research in the field of Japanese language or Japanese studies, proficiency in the Japanese language is not required.

Only applicants for research studies will be required to take an English and Japanese proficiency test. However, those who wish to apply in universities as undergraduate students and in colleges for specialized training must be willing to learn the Japanese language and receive education in the same way.

Applicants must be U.S. citizens. University and specialized training colleges applicants must be born between April 2, 1994, and April 1, 1999, and have either completed a 12-year regular course of school education or graduated from a school equivalent to senior high school in Japan.

Those who wish to do research must be born on or after April 2, 1981, and be a university graduate at the time of participation in the program.

Applicants must also be willing to leave for and arrive in Japan between April 1 and 7, 2016, or, for research students, within two weeks of the date set by the receiving university for the beginning of the semester.

Research students must also pursue studies in the same or related field they majored as an undergraduate as well as be able to obtain a letter of acceptance from a professor at the Japanese university they wish to enter.

Applications must be received at the Consulate-General of Japan in Hagatna, Guam, no later than June 15. For other requirements and further information, interested parties may email cgiguam@ag.mofa.go.jp or call 646-1290.

Frauleine Michelle S. Villanueva Dayao
This post is published under the Contributing Author. He/she does not normally work for Saipan Tribune but contributes for a specific topic or series.

Related Posts

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.