An alumnus of Kagman High School on Saipan was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army on Saturday in a private ceremony at the University of Guam.
Erbert Camacho Santiago Jr., who will be with the Guam Army National Guard, was commissioned with 10 other UOG Army Reserve Officers Training Corps cadets. The commissioning ceremony is the culmination of the ROTC program that the cadets undertook while studying at the University of Guam. The cadets developed their leadership skills in the ROTC classroom and field training environments with the hall-mark of the ROTC curriculum being the real-world application of the leadership instruction. The cadets participated in numerous paid summer internships and military training courses throughout the world as well as annual field training exercises and cultural exchange events to hone their abilities to lead people in challenging environments.
This year’s commissioned cadets became second lieutenants, serving on active duty in the Army or as reservists in the Guam Army National Guard. As part of the ceremony, the cadets also were assigned to their branches, or military specialties.
“We are so proud of our new lieutenants and the hard work they put in to become the best leaders they can be,” said Lt. Col. Thomas Anderson, the professor of military science at the University of Guam. “Wherever they go next, they go as leader-ambassadors representing the island of Guam and our region, and they will carry with them the Triton Warrior spirit of the University of Guam’s ROTC program. They have so much to be proud of.”
Aside from Santiago, the other cadets who earned their commission as U.S. Army second lieutenants are:
• Alex D. Aguero, active duty, Infantry Officer, graduated from Simon A. Sanchez High School
• Shawn Balinas, active duty, Medical Services Officer, graduated from Simon A. Sanchez High School
• Lucand G. Camacho, active duty, Cyber Officer, graduated from Simon A. Sanchez High School
• Ryan Guzman, active duty, Engineer Officer, graduated from Southern High School
• Larry Fuentes Llegado, active duty, Air Defense Artillery Officer, graduated from John F. Kennedy High School
• Jerome Long, Guam Army National Guard, graduated from Flour Bluff High School (Texas)
• Christelyn Joy O. Lopez, active duty, Adjutant General Officer, graduated from Simon A. Sanchez High School
• Brandon Pablo, Guam Army National Guard, graduated from Father Duenas Memorial School
• Christopher J.M. San Miguel, active duty, Military Intelligence Officer, graduated from Notre Dame High School
• Erbert Camacho Santiago Jr., Guam Army National Guard, graduated from Kagman High School (Saipan)
• Brendan Santos, active duty, Engineer Officer, graduated from George Washington High School
The UOG ROTC program was established in October 1979 and is celebrating 40 years of producing dynamic leaders for Guam, the Pacific, and the United States of America. (PR)