Kilili: $2.1M to CUC for Soudelor recovery


WASHINGTON, D.C.—Federal funding to aid the Marianas in long-term recovery from Typhoon Soudelor continues with a grant of $2,126,487.

Delegate Gregorio Kilili C. Sablan (Ind-MP) announced the funding yesterday, saying the Federal Emergency Management Agency provides the money directly to the Commonwealth government, which then distributes it to the Commonwealth Utilities Corp.

“These funds are a reimbursement of what CUC has already spent to pay for the repairs to Power Plants 1, 2, and 4,” Sablan said. “The federal funding represents 90 percent of the total cost. The Commonwealth is responsible for the remaining 10 percent.”

Typhoon Soudelor struck the Marianas in August 2015. Since then, federal assistance from FEMA has totaled over $37 million for public infrastructure and $25 million to individuals and households.

The funding is provided under authority of Section 406 of the Robert T. Stafford Act. (PR) 

Press Release
News under Press Release are official statements issued to Saipan Tribune giving information on a particular matter.

Related Posts

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.