NAP producers should report storm losses


Commercial agricultural producers in the CNMI who have signed up for the Non-insured Crop Disaster Assistance Program and were negatively impacted by Typhoon Dolphin may be eligible for disaster assistance through the Farm Service Agency.

Producers enrolled in the NAP program must notify FSA within 72 hours for hand-harvested crops and file a Notice of Loss (CCC-576) within 15 days upon loss becoming apparent under the new provisions of the 2014 Farm Bill.

The Notice of Loss is used to report failed acreage and may be completed by any producer with an interest in the crop. Timely notifying FSA within 72 hours for hand-harvested crops and within 15 days for all other crops is required following the occurrence of a disaster or when losses become apparent.

Producers may notify FSA within 72 hours by email, fax or phone. Information to be provided by producers for the 72-hour notice include:
• Producer name
• Crop affected
• Apparent date of the loss
• Cause of loss
• What will be done with the damaged crop
• What has been done with the damaged crop acreage.

To be eligible for NAP assistance, the following crop acreage information must be reported:
• Name of the crop (lettuce, clover, etc.);
• Type and variety (head lettuce, red clover, etc.);
• Location and acreage of the crop (field, sub-field, etc.);
• Share of the crop and the names of other producers with an interest in the crop;
• Type of practice used to grow the crop (irrigated or non-irrigated);
• Date the crop was planted in each field; and
• Intended use of the commodity (fresh, processed, etc.).
• Producers should report crop acreage shortly after planting (early in the risk period) to ensure reporting deadlines are not missed and coverage is not lost.

In addition, producers with NAP coverage must provide the following production information:

The quantity of all harvested production of the crop in which the producer held an interest during the crop year;

The disposition of the harvested crop, such as whether it is marketable, unmarketable, salvaged, or used differently than intended; and

Verifiable or reliable crop production records (when required by FSA).

When those records are required, producers must provide them in a manner that can be easily understood by the FSA county committee. Producers should contact FSA for questions regarding acceptable production records.

Failure to report acreage and production information for NAP-covered crops may result in reduced or zero NAP assistance. Producers should contact the FSA office where their farm records are maintained for questions regarding local acreage reporting and final planting dates.

For aquaculture, floriculture and ornamental nursery operations, producers must maintain records according to industry standards, including daily crop inventories. Producers should contact the FSA office regarding these requirements.

For more information or to file a Notice of loss, call the FSA Guam County Office at (671) 472-7568. Producers in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands may dial toll free (670) 234-0896. (USDA)

Jun Dayao Dayao
This post is published under the Contributing Author. He/she does not normally work for Saipan Tribune but contributes for a specific topic or series.

Related Posts

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.