Effective Feb. 26, 2018, the Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services will start implementing on Saipan new fire lane regulations established by Public Law 19-69.
• The obstruction of a designated fire lane is prohibited and is considered an immediate hazard to life and property.
• Designated fire lanes along sidewalks and streets are painted red. The lanes are marked “No Parking—Fire Lane.”
• Vehicles parked in fire lane will be towed.
• A police officer or firefighter shall issue a citation for violation.
• If an operator refuses to sign citation, he/she will be arrested.
• The person charged with the violation may give his or her written promise to appear in court by signing at least one copy of the written traffic citation.
• Contact DFEMS Fire Station in Susupe at 664-9004 to verify if car is towed.
• Pay citation at the Superior Court and provide proof of payment to DFEMS.
• Citation is $150 per violation; towing fee is $220 for vehicles weighing less than 11,000 lbs, and $350 for vehicles weighing more than 350 lbs.; and daily impoundment rate is $20. Fines/fees change because of daily impoundment rate.
• DFEMS will issue release order to impound lot.
• If the lien owner of the vehicle fails to claim within 30 days from date of impound, the vehicle will be auctioned.