NMC offers nursing assistant course
The Northern Marianas College Nursing Program, in collaboration with the Community Development Institute and CNMI Area Health Education Center, is offering a “Certificate of Completion-Nursing Assistant” course, which will run for six (6) weeks or a total of one hundred and fifty (150) credit hours.
This course will prepare entry-level nursing assistants in providing basic nursing care to the elderly, ill, and persons with a disability in long-term care within the hospital, clinics, schools or home health settings. It is designed for any student or individual interested in beginning a career as a nursing assistant, is already taking a nursing course but is still in developmental English and math levels, or is already employed as a nursing assistant but has not completed the formal course work.
This course has been approved by the Commonwealth Board of Nurse Examiners (CBNE). The course will also prepare participants to take the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) Competency Examination. After successfully completing this course, certified participants will be eligible to take the NNAAP Competency Examination under CBNE, Northern Mariana Islands, be licensed as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), be placed on the CBNE Registry for Nursing Assistants, and may practice as a CNA in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, U.S. Territories or U.S. mainland.
The dates for training are June 27, 2016 through Aug. 5, 2016.
Training pre-requisites include: registrants must be a high school or GED graduate; must have a Minimum English placement level of EN093 & EN084; and must have a minimum math placement level – MA 091.
Students must also meet NMC Admission Requirements:
- Complete an NMC Admission Application Form.
- Complete a Health Evaluation Form –must validate vaccinations for measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, and hepatitis B; provide results of current purified protein derivative (PPD) skin test (current = within two years).
- Pay the (non-refundable) Application Fee – $25 for resident or $50 for non-resident.
- Submit an official high school or GED transcript.
- Submit a copy of a valid, government-issued, photo ID.
Cost to Student:
- Applicable college fees
- Student manual
- Physical Examination Fee at private clinic for clinical experience
- BLS/CPR Class Fee for hospital experience
- Clinical requirements—white lab coat, white nursing uniforms, and white nursing shoes (white walking or jogging shoes are alternatives)
- NMC Nursing Program logo patches – 2 pieces
- Watch with second hand
- BP cuff and stethoscope
- CHCC hospital student name badge
For more information, you may contact Queanna Sablan, AHEC Program Manager, by phone at (670) 237-6809 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.