Gov. Ralph DLG Torres, in a phone call to the White House, supports the direction President Donald J. Trump has charted in the United States’ relationship with North Korea.
Describing the meeting between the two in Singapore last Monday as a “historic” day for both countries, Torres said he fully supports Trump.
“[It] was a historic day for the United States and North Korea as President Trump has made more advancements toward securing a complete denuclearization of North Korea,” Torres said in a statement. “I stand proudly by President Trump’s side in his efforts to establish a safer Pacific region.”
Torres said that Trump recognizes that the CNMI is the closest U.S. territory to North Korea.
North Korea previously threatened to launch a pre-emptive strike against Guam in late 2017. The country also several times detonated explosives, with one powerful enough to create a magnitude 6.3 tremor.
“…We have always known that any threat to the U.S. would start with our islands. However, President Trump has consistently assured me that the United States would stand shoulder to shoulder with us and never let us down,” Torres said in his statement.
“I realize that these negotiations with North Korea will be ongoing, and I reinforced my commitment to President Trump early this morning that the CNMI stands ready to assist in whatever way possible in his efforts,” he added.
According to press secretary Kevin Bautista, Torres joins the White House’s list of governors who have already expressed support for the summit with North Korea in Singapore.
That meeting yielded a signed document, where Trump reportedly committed to provide security guarantees to North Korea and Kim reaffirmed his commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.
The two countries also agreed through the signing of the document that new U.S.-North Korean relations would be re-established to build on a joint effort toward building a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean peninsula.