The people of the CNMI are fighting together against COVID-19 and not with each other and Gov. Ralph DLG Torres believes that that explains why the CNMI has a low number of positive COVID-19 cases.
Speaking at last Friday’s radio news briefing, Torres said everything that they have done since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic is to protect the people of the Commonwealth and that has resulted in “keeping the curve flat”—a term that means slowing the spread of the infection.
This is why Torres said he has thanked the community several times whenever he’s on the media because of how the community has followed the emergency directives.
“Yes, we were strict. We’re thinking…what is the best safe way to do to safeguard…the community,” he said.
If everyone continues to work together and have one goal, then the CNMI will definitely flatten the curve, he added.
There are currently 60 positive cases of COVID-19 in the CNMI since March 28, 2020.
The governor said the CNMI was safe from January to February, until Guam posted its first COVID-19 case in March. Since then, he said, his administration, Commonwealth Healthcare Corp. chief executive officer Esther Muna, COVID-Task Force chief Warren Villagomez, Gerald Deleon Guerrero of Homeland Security, and others have worked many hours to keep the islands safe.
“We worked every day, up to even 2 o’clock in the morning and then would go home. And then at 5 o’clock, we were texting. What’s going on? We need to do this. We need to do that. We need to order this,” he said.
Like the rest of the world, they were scrambling then to obtain personal protective equipment—face masks, face shields, hazardous material suits, etc., Torres said, and what kind of ventilators they needed.
“It’s important that our community knows that,” Torres said.
The governor said people in the region are having a difficult time providing the very same care.
Torres said the Alternate Care Site at the Kanoa Resort has the needed equipment and supplies.