Gov. Ralph DLG Torres is urging the public to be cautious and mindful in disseminating information in the social media about those persons who have tested positive for COVID-19.
Speaking at a radio news briefing last Thursday, Torres reiterated that the government’s system to fight the pandemic has been working for 11 months now and any spread of misinformation hurts the whole community because it fosters personal assumptions and second-guessing, where some people get their own ideas on what should have been done.
“Again, you just got to respect the process. And respect those individuals that have been tested positive,” he said.
This comes soon after the most recent instance when a Commonwealth Healthcare Corp. personnel tested positive for COVID-19. That personnel—considered an essential personnel—had accompanied an ill person outside the CNMI. Rampant rumors that this person had gone out to a bar with friends were shut down by the bar’s management itself, which later issued a statement saying the person never went there during the period in question.
Torres reminded everyone that spreading misinformation or rumors hurt everyone.
“Always think: What if that’s your family?” said the governor, adding that they had earlier cases where false information was being passed around.
“That is absolutely wrong. And it is detrimental to the family.”
Torres appealed to the community to instead pray for anybody who tests positive for COVID-19 and appreciate what they’ve done, especially in this particular case with the essential worker.