Company also achieves record second-quarter diluted EPS of $4.02; adjusted diluted EPS1 of $4.21
CHICAGO—United Airlines (UAL) announced that the continued successful implementation of its strategy led to the company delivering two straight quarters of solid pre-tax margin growth—three quarters on an adjusted basis—and the highest second-quarter pre-tax income in the airline’s history.
“Thanks to the outstanding and sustained efforts of 95,000 United team members, United is now consistently delivering results for our customers as well as investors as we raise the mid-point of our full- year 2019 adjusted diluted EPS3 guidance with a new range of $10.50 to $12.00,” said Oscar Munoz, CEO of United Airlines. “By once again delivering strong EPS over the last three months, top-tier results are now the expectation, not the exception for United.”
• Reported second-quarter net income of $1.1 billion, diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $4.02, pre-tax earnings of $1.4 billion and pre-tax margin of 11.9 percent, expanding pre-tax margin 4.0 points versus the second quarter of 2018.
• Reported second-quarter adjusted net income of $1.1 billion, adjusted diluted EPS of $4.21, adjusted pre-tax earnings of $1.4 billion and adjusted pre-tax margin of 12.4 percent, expanding adjusted pre-tax margin 2.0 points versus the second quarter of 2018.1
• Total passenger revenue increased 6.1 percent versus the second quarter of 2018.
• Consolidated second-quarter passenger revenue per available seat mile (PRASM) increased 2.5 percent year-over-year.
• Consolidated second-quarter unit cost per available seat mile (CASM) decreased 0.4 percent year-over-year.
• Consolidated second-quarter CASM, excluding special charges, third-party business expenses, fuel and profit sharing, increased 0.6 percent year-over-year.
• Repurchased $536 million of its common shares in the second quarter of 2019, at an average Exhibit 99.1 purchase price of $84.07 per share.
• On July 15, 2019, the company’s Board of Directors authorized a new $3 billion share repurchase program.
1 Excludes special charges, the mark-to-market impact of financial instruments and imputed interest on certain finance leases. Reconciliations of non-GAAP financial measures to the most directly comparable GAAP measures are included in the tables accompanying this release.
2 Airline history defined as post-2010 merger.
3Excludes special charges and the mark-to-market impact of financial instruments, the nature of which are not determined at this time, and imputed interest on certain finance leases. Accordingly, UAL is not providing earnings guidance on a GAAP basis.
For more information on UAL’s third-quarter and full-year 2019 guidance, please visit ir.united.com for the company’s investor update.
Second-Quarter 2019 Highlights
• United Polaris lounge at San Francisco International Airport voted best business class lounge in the world by the 2019 World Airline Awards from Skytrax.
• Introduced ConnectionSaver, a new tool dedicated to improving the experience for customers connecting from one United flight to the next, while ensuring those who have already boarded the aircraft arrive at their destination on time.
• Began flight operations at LaGuardia Airport’s new Terminal B Eastern Concourse and opened newest United Club—conveniently located inside security with more than 10,500 square feet with sweeping views of the tarmac.
• Awarded the “People’s Voice” Webby Award in the “Business and Finance” category for reimagined mobile app, which debuted earlier this year.
• Partnered with luxury skincare line Sunday Riley on new United Polaris amenity kits.
• Awarded the Crystal Cabin Award for Inflight Entertainment and Connectivity for new onboard entertainment.
• Received IDG’s CIO 100 Award for innovative customer volunteer solicitation program.
• Served nearly 43 million passengers, the most ever for United in the second quarter.
• Achieved top-tier on-time departures rate performance versus the major U.S. airlines, despite headwinds caused by unusually high weather and ATC delays.
• For the second quarter United had the second-best completion factor and the second fewest cancellations among the major U.S. airlines.
• Received “Best-of-the-Best” award for commitment to diversity and inclusion by the National LGBT Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) and the National Business Inclusion Consortium (NBIC), demonstrating the airline’s industry-leading results across all diverse segments and its commitment to building a more diverse economy.
• Honored with the “DiversityInc Top 50” designation, lauding the airline’s leadership in promoting diversity through talent development, leadership accountability and a top supplier diversity program.
• Expect profit sharing for 2019 to be about 20 percent higher per participating employee year-over- year.
• Hosted more than half of the company’s 25,000 flight attendants at 17 separate Backstage 2019 events, which are designed to underscore the important role flight attendants play in delivering great service.
• Started 34 new domestic and international routes, including brand-new summer service between New York/Newark and Prague, and the only nonstop service between the United States and Naples, Italy.
• Resumed popular seasonal service on 28 routes offering customers more access than ever before to connect to 54 countries around the world on United’s industry-leading global network.
• Announced the only nonstop service from the United States to Cape Town, South Africa, and announced a second daily nonstop service between San Francisco and Hong Kong.
• Launched ninth daily nonstop flight between the United States and Germany from its hub at Denver International Airport, becoming the only U.S. airline connecting Denver to Frankfurt nonstop.
• Tentatively granted a total of four daily nonstop flights to Tokyo Haneda Airport from United’s hubs at Newark Liberty International Airport, Chicago O’Hare International Airport, Washington Dulles International Airport and Los Angeles International Airport.
• Unveiled 2019 college football flying schedule, adding around 10,000 seats between its hubs and popular game destinations and, for the first time, adding several point-to-point flights enabling fans to fly nonstop from one college town to another.
• Entered into a new alliance agreement with New Delhi-based airline Vistara – further expanding the airline’s global route network to more than 20 destinations throughout India and expected to begin in the fall.
• Unveiled next paint design, which brings a refreshed look to its fleet, serving as a visual representation of the airline’s ongoing brand evolution while staying true to the history it has developed over the past 93 years of proudly serving customers around the world.
• Took delivery of two Boeing 787-10 aircraft, two used Airbus A319 aircraft, and seven Embraer E175 aircraft operated by our regional partners.
• Signed agreement to purchase 19 used Boeing 737-700 aircraft with deliveries expected beginning in December.
Community and Environment
• Made history with the departure of the “Flight for the Planet,” the most eco-friendly commercial flight of its kind in the history of aviation, becoming the first known airline to demonstrate all of the following key actions on a single commercial flight: utilization of sustainable aviation biofuel, zero cabin waste efforts, carbon offsetting, and operational efficiencies.
• Became the first public company to be inducted into Pride Live’s Stonewall Ambassador program in recognition of the airline’s commitment to LGBTQ+ equality.
• Reached a milestone of 1 million meals packed for charity partner Rise Against Hunger, a global nonprofit, working to end hunger by providing food and life-changing aid to the world’s most vulnerable and creating a global commitment to mobilize critical resources.
• Renewed contract with Boston-based World Energy, agreeing to purchase up to 10 million gallons of cost-competitive, commercial-scale, sustainable aviation biofuel over the next two years.
• Revealed the two winning designs for Her Art Here, a first-of-its-kind contest designed to find and uplift underrepresented women artists by providing a chance to have their work painted on a canvas like no other – a United Airlines aircraft. The painted aircraft will begin flying in the fall.
• Announced new and exciting opportunities to help customers celebrate Pride Month through MileagePlus Exclusives benefiting United charity partner The Trevor Project. (PR)