UOG launches search for 2014 Distinguished Alumni
MANGILAO, Guam—The University of Guam Alumni Association, in cooperation with the University of Guam Office of Development and Alumni Affairs, is excited to announce that nominations for the 2014 UOG Distinguished Alumni Awards will be accepted from Sept. 1 to Oct. 6, 2013, no later than 4pm. A total of six awards will be given to deserving individuals. Five awards will be given to one individual from each of the university’s schools and colleges: College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences; College of Natural & Applied Sciences; School of Business & Public Administration; School of Education; and School of Nursing and Health Sciences. One award will be given to an alumnus/alumna who is currently serving or is retired from military service.
All recipients will be recognized at the UOG Alumni Reunion scheduled for Nov. 15, 2014, at the Hilton Guam Resort & Spa from 6pm to 9pm. They will each receive a plaque, a certificate of recognition from the president of the University of Guam, and will be featured in a news release distributed to all local media. Awardees will be featured on the university’s website and social media channels.
Any individual who has graduated earlier than 2008 is eligible to be nominated. The nominee must consent to being included in the selection process.
Nominations may be submitted by any individual, independently or on behalf of a group or institution. Self-nominations will not be accepted. Requirements:
- Submit an official Nomination Form highlighting the nominee’s achievements, and explaining how the nominee meets the criteria for the award.
- Submit a CV/resume and two letters of support from individuals familiar with the nominee’s work addressing the eligibility criteria.
- Supporting documents: depending on the nominee’s field of endeavor, such documents could include notices and reviews of the nominee’s work, sample publications, samples of media coverage, personal citations and testimonials, etc.
Nominees will be contacted as soon as the Nomination Form is received. If a nominee cannot be contacted and their consent is not given by Oct. 13, 2014, no later than 4pm, the individual will not be considered for the award.
Upon acceptance of the nomination, nominees may submit specific evidence of their accomplishments in the following areas, limited to five pages.
- Professional accomplishment in the field: has the nominee attained a high level of distinction and achievement through scholarship, research, teaching, creative contributions to the arts (comprising Humanities, Performing and Fine Arts, Social Sciences and Business) or sciences (comprising Science, Engineering and Health Sciences) and/or service to society?
- Candidate exhibits a high degree of character and integrity.
- Civic and university involvement, awareness and concern.
- Do the nominee’s achievements have local, national and/or international significance?
- For military nominees:
* Professional accomplishment in their field: has the nominee held critical positions of responsibility and authority (i.e. command and key staff positions)?
* Has the nominee attained above normal promotion achievements?
* What level of rank has been achieved or level of elected official capacity?
* What types of awards have been earned exhibiting exemplary performance?
* What significant community service or civic involvements have been achieved?
All nomination forms, CV/resume and two letters of support (due Oct. 6, no later than 4pm) and additional nominee evidence (due Oct. 13, no later than 4pm) may be transmitted through any of the three methods below. Submissions received after the abovementioned deadlines will not be considered.
* Mail to: University of Guam, UOG Station, Mangilao, Guam 96923
* Hand Delivery: President’s Office – ATTN: Norman Analista, 2nd Floor, Jesus & Eugenia Leon Guerrero Building
* Email: email@example.com
For more information, contact Eileen Agahan, UOG Alumni Association president at 735-2501 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Norman Analista, director, Development & Alumni Affairs at 735-2586 or email email@example.com. (UOG)