The Bureau of Environmental Health is expected to inspect the Guma Hustisia building in Susupe for mold today, Monday, according to a source.
This developed as the Guma Hustitisia or the House of Justice building will remain closed to the public today, Monday, reportedly due to air-conditioning system failure. Court hearings and other public services are being done in alternative locations.
The source, who requested anonymity, said BEH personnel will bring test kits and other tools needed for the inspection.
The source said the same BEH personnel made an initial visit at Guma Hustisia last week. The bureau is a branch of the Commonwealth Healthcare Corp.
With the Guma Hustisia closed to the public since last March 16, the Superior Court is holding hearings in a small room at the Pedro P. Tenorio Multi-Purpose Center and at the Department of Public Safety’s training offices.
The U.S. District Court for the NMI in Garapan and the Department of Public Safety’s training offices in Susupe have also been designated as temporary court locations.
Chief Justice Alexandro C. Castro and Presiding Judge Roberto C. Naraja last week said the air-conditioning system at the Guma Hustisia is temporarily online, but repair and monitoring efforts continue, along with testing and manual assessments for the system’s temperature controls and its impact on office readiness.
Castro and Naraja said BEH will be performing assessments in various office and courtroom spaces for health and safety assurance standards.
According to the Commonwealth Healthcare Corp.’s website, BEH’s goal is to ensure the protection of the public and consumers against adverse effects that may result from hazardous environmental health and unsanitary conditions.
Castro and Naraja disclosed that a mold remediation assessment has recently commenced to assist in long-term planning.
“The potential impact from the rise in temperature and lack of air circulation, caused by the recent air-conditioning system malfunction, is being closely observed and monitored,” they said.
A source earlier disclosed that it’s not just the air-conditioning system, but possibly a serious mold problem that’s affecting the system.
A Saipan Tribune inquiry about the alleged possible mold problem has not been responded to.