Remain indoors until the all clear has been issued
The Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management, in coordination with the National Weather Service, Guam Weather Forecast Office, is issuing out an urgent warning to the residents of the CNMI, especially for the islands of Saipan and Tinian: Super Typhoon Yutu is being projected to be the strongest storm to pass over the Marianas in recent history, packing winds in excess of 165 to 175 miles per hour, with gusts expected to be over 200 mph by midnight.
At this time, HSEM is asking all residents including all first responders to remain off public roadways, secure emergency vehicles and to shelter-in-place until the “all clear” has been issued by Gov. Ralph DLG Torres as Yutu poses a life-threatening hazard to the community.
There should be no residents commuting at this time unless it is a life-threatening matter.
On its current track, Super Typhoon Yutu is being projected to pass through the Saipan/Tinian channel with worst weather conditions expected between midnight and 3am. Please exercise extreme caution if you have to travel on public roadways. Stay vigilant and remain tuned in to local media for the latest on Super Typhoon Yutu.
HSEM urges the community to follow the following social media platforms to get the latest weather updates and information:
- CNMI EOC State Warning Point Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cnmieocswp/
- CNMI Office of the Governor Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CNMIGov/
- Governor Ralph DLG. Torres Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ralphdlg.torres/
- CNMI Joint Information Center: https://www.facebook.com/JICNMI/
- NWS Website: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/guam/
- NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
HSEM is highly encouraging residents to download the ReadyCNMI Mobile App available for FREE in the Apple Store or Google PlayStore to receive the latest weather updates and notifications. (HSEM)