The Board of Parole has revoked the parole granted to convicted murderer Shawn Appleby, denied the parole applications of three inmates, and granted parole to two others, including one who attempted to set his girlfriend on fire.
At a hearing Friday at the Pedro P. Tenorio Multi-Purpose Center in Susupe, BOP members unanimously revoked the parole of 40-year-old Appleby for violating parole conditions and committing new crimes.
The day before, the parole board denied the applications of John C. Hamilton, 33; Demson Sachuo, 19; and Ronnie San Nicolas, 25. It granted, however, the parole applications of Vincent S.N. Norita, 34, and John Piteg Teregeyo, 26.
Chief Prosecutor John Bradley said yesterday the board’s decision should be respected. “We aren’t always going to agree whether an inmate is ready or not for early release. But the responsibility for making that difficult decision falls on the board members and should be respected,” he said.
Nonetheless, he assured that the Office of the Attorney General will be watching closely to make sure that any violations are quickly handled to best protect victims and public safety.
The parole board is composed of Ramon B. Camacho, Ignacio Mendiola, Jose C. Camacho, Michael M. San Nicolas, and Vicente Borja, with Ramon B. Camacho as board chairman.
Saying that public safety should be the primary concern of BOP members, the OAG earlier urged the revocation of Appleby’s parole and strongly opposed granting parole to the five other inmates.
In Appleby’s case, the revocation hearing pushed through Friday even as Superior Court Presiding Judge Roberto C. Naraja denied that same day Appleby’s attempt to stop the BOP from going through with the revocation proceedings.
Appleby had a parole revocation hearing after being arrested last March 24 for domestic violence, according to BOP documents. According to the report of Parole Officer Jason A. Lizama, Appleby was arrested for domestic violence and disturbing the peace at his home in Dandan. Lizama said the victim in this case is a parolee herself.
Among the conditions of Appleby’s parole is that he shall not engage in criminal conduct. Other parole conditions is that Appleby shall not associate with persons engaged in criminal activities or with persons that have been convicted of a crime.
The BOP allowed Appleby’s release in September 2019, despite the OAG’s and the Parole Office’s opposition to giving him parole.
Appleby was serving a 42-year sentence for first-degree murder and escape.
Bradley earlier said that Appleby is not suitable for parole, that he has served less than half of his sentence and has slightly over 24 years remaining. He was previously granted parole in February 2011, only for it to be revoked in December 2012.
Bradley pointed out Appleby has previously admitted that he drinks alcohol and uses crystal meth, and that this admitted use of meth could potentially result in future criminal acts.
A report from the Department of Corrections also showed that Appleby was sanctioned in 2012 and 2014, and was placed in isolation for violations such as disrespect to staff, and possession of tobacco, Bradley said.
Appleby is serving a 40-year sentence for killing Byung Ok Suh in November 1996 after robbing the victim’s store, Chalan Market, in San Antonio. The victim was shot.
Appleby bolted from the Department of Corrections twice, in 1999 and 2007, adding two more years to his 40-year prison term.
In Hamilton’s case, he broke into the home of a family that included a child. The family was at home at the time. When confronted, Hamilton injured that person with a screwdriver. He was convicted of burglary and sentenced to 10 years confinement, only two years suspended. He has served six and a half years.
In addition, Hamilton has a prior arrest for driving under the influence that was resolved by a guilty plea for reckless driving. He also admits to being a meth user.
In Sachou’s case, he and three friends burglarized the house of a single mother soon after Super Typhoon Yutu. He was convicted of burglary and sentenced to 10 years. Only two years of that confinement is unsuspended. He has only served one year.
In San Nicolas’ case, he was convicted of two offense of drug trafficking. He was sentenced to 12 years in prison, four years suspended. He has served only a little over two and a half years of the eight years confinement. “San Nicolas was not a typical meth addict. He was a high-level drug trafficker. He is a serious criminal,” Bradley had said.
With respect to Norita, he was convicted of multiple counts of theft, reckless driving, speeding, improper signal, illegal U-turn, failure to obey traffic sign, driving on right side of highway, eluding a police officer, accident, and tampering with a vehicle. He was sentenced to nine years in prison. Norita has served only about three and one-half years of his sentence.
Given the seriousness of this crime and his long criminal history, Norita should remain in prison, Bradley said.
In Teregeyo’s case, he was convicted of arson and assault and battery. Bradley said the crimes involved domestic violence, as Teregeyo attacked his girlfriend.
Teregeyo was sentenced to 11 years in prison, six years suspended. He has served two and a half years on the five years unsuspended portion of the sentence.
Bradley said Teregeyo tried to kill his girlfriend by setting her on fire and preventing her from running away.
“This is a very serious crime that could have resulted in the death of the victim by burning,” he pointed out.
While serving his sentence, Teregeyo had two violations in 2019, Bradley added.