A massage business in Chalan Kanoa above Winchell’s was engulfed in flames yesterday but Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services personnel were able to confine the fire and it did not spread to nearby establishments.
No one was injured but DFEMS has yet to determine the fire’s cause.
According to DFEMS spokesman Derek Gersonde, the fire at the Island Massage Club in Susupe above Winchell’s and across the Kanoa Resort Saipan was reported at around 11:50am and first responder units arrived at the scene at 11:53am.
The fire was reportedly contained at around 12:26pm.
Gersonde said that firefighters were able to contain the fire to just the massage establishment so the businesses surrounding the area were not affected.
The establishments right next to the Island Massage Club include Winchell’s, Korea House, and Discovery Tours.
DFEMS Arson Investigation Unit personnel later closed down the area; investigation is ongoing.
DFEMS has yet to issue an official statement as of press time about the progress of its investigation.
According to the establishment’s owner, a Korean woman who refused to disclose her name, the establishment was still closed when the fire happened and she has no idea what could have started the fire.
Individuals at the scene speculated that it may have been an electrical problem.
Gersonde said that he will release further information about the cause of the fire as soon as they become available.