OAG opposes release of man who killed infant

|
Posted on Jan 06 2021

Tag:
Share

The Office of the Attorney General is opposing the release of a man who was convicted of killing an infant back in 2000.

In a memorandum addressed to Board of Parole director Ramon Camacho, OAG Chief Prosecutor John Bradley is opposing the grant of parole to Reynaldo Atrero Manila, 59, because of the seriousness of the crime.

“Manila took the life of an infant and has never accepted responsibility for his actions. He should not be released into the CNMI community. Should parole be granted, the Parole Board should condition it upon confirmation that travel documents exist and that Manila will be deported,” Bradley said.

He argues that Manila does not accept responsibility for his crime and continues to deny that he caused the death of the child.

“He says he is a ‘victim of justice.’ He still claims that the baby simply fell, which was not consistent with the medical evidence. The infant had bleeding in the brain and retinal hemorrhaging, consistent with Shaken Baby Syndrome,” Bradley said.

In addition, Bradley says that the infant’s mother who has since passed away, strongly opposes early release for Manila.

“The family continues to feel the loss of the young child. The wound to the family is deep and slow to heal,” he said.

Back in 2000, Manila was convicted of second-degree murder and child abuse and was sentenced to 60 years confinement. He is eligible for parole because he has already served one-third of his sentence.

Following a jury trial, Manila was convicted of causing the death of the 6-month-old female infant by striking and shaking her violently. During trial, he lied about the circumstances of the injury and did not seek medical care upon seeing that she was severely injured. She died in the hospital days later.

Manila previously sought clemency from the governor, which was denied. The OAG says that Manila has repeatedly attempted to use various medical conditions to seek sympathy.

Manila has a detainer for deportation to the Philippines. However, deportation is unlikely to happen because, one, there is no confirmation that Manila has sufficient travel documents to confirm deportation, and, second, there is no confirmation that the Philippines is currently accepting deportees.

Kimberly Bautista | Reporter
Kimberly Albiso Bautista has covered a wide range of news beats, including the community, housing, crime, and more. She now covers sports for the Saipan Tribune. Contact her at kimberly_bautista@saipantribune.com.

Related Posts

Disclaimer: Comments are moderated. They will not appear immediately or even on the same day. Comments should be related to the topic. Off-topic comments would be deleted. Profanities are not allowed. Comments that are potentially libelous, inflammatory, or slanderous would be deleted.