The new investors seeking to take over the defunct Tinian Dynasty Hotel & Casino has expressed interest in shouldering airfare costs for the hundreds of employees left on Tinian by the previous hotel owner.
The new investors, Tinian Entertainment Corp., was unanimously awarded a conditional casino license by the Tinian Casino Gaming Control Commission on Friday as Tinian Mayor Joey Patrick San Nicolas was organizing efforts to move the affected workers to the Tinian Gymnasium and Youth Center, from a barracks that had been cut off its power and had rationed food and fuel.
“[Head investor] Tim Chen announced he is willing to pay for airfare of TDHC employees to their home countries,” San Nicolas told Saipan Tribune in an email yesterday.
Tinian Entertainment Corp. is a subsidiary of Chinese Strategic, which is closely associated with Chen. Chinese Strategic is a Hong Kong stock exchange trading company and one of the initial investors with Mega Stars Overseas Ltd. for the purchase of HKE, which currently owns Tinian Dynasty.
On Saturday, the Philippine honorary consul to the CNMI, Glicerio Arago, met again with affected overseas workers affected by the Tinian Dynasty Hotel & Casino’s practical abandonment of them, meeting with about 60 people, mostly workers and their families, in Natibu Park,
Workers filled out forms, or Philippine government “Assistance to Nationals” form, on the kind of assistance needed from the Philippine government.
“Workers and families have decided to go home,” Arago representative Ariel Mariano earlier said.
San Nicolas earlier said that there are altogether about 200 affected workers, with several living outside in the community right now and about 148 people living in the Dynasty barracks, including young children.
The Commonwealth Utilities Corp. had cut the barracks power two weeks ago Friday, prompting the mayor to reach out to local aid groups for much needed donations.